Sunday, March 15, 2015

It's Okay to Not Always Be Happy

I've always felt born to be a Mom. I mothered all my friends. I mothered my Mother from the age of 3. I mothered my Husband from the moment we moved in together. But becoming an actual Mother, a tiny Life depending on you for every single thing,  24/7, after two and a half decades of only being a Mother to my friends when they needed guidance, not wiping their butts or putting food in their mouths... that was a huge change!

I watched my Husband go to work every day, come home and play video games, eat all the unhealthy crap he wanted, snore his head off and sleep without waking. I watched my friends go about their daily lives, as if nothing had changed. Because for all of them, it hadn't. But for me?

My entire life was completely upside down. I had this tiny thing attached to me. I was responsible for every aspect of its life. I had to focus all of my time and attention on it. I had to respond to its every noise and movement. I couldn't play video games all day. I couldn't go anywhere I wanted anytime I wanted. I couldn't just slip on my shoes and go for a run. I couldn't roll over and go back to sleep until 4 in the afternoon if I still felt tired when I woke up. I couldn't binge on brownies and cake all day if I wanted to. My life was all about this little being that was and always will be a part of me. She was now my entire world. I couldn't do anything without thinking about how it would affect her.

I was happy to do it, it was what I had wanted, longed for, ached for, for so many years. But there were definitely times when I questioned if had made a mistake. If I was crazy for wanting this. If I was good enough. If I could handle it.

I still have those thoughts sometimes, nearly 4 years later and pregnant with our second. They're normal. It doesn't matter what it is, when you make a drastic change in your life, you're going to have moments of doubt, of regret, of despair, especially when it gets hard. And even when it's easy, you can still miss the way things were before at times. But when it comes down to it, I absolutely would not go back and not become a Mother if I had the chance. That doesn't mean I don't have moments I question whether that's true. We all fantasize about things being different than they are at times. And that's okay. It doesn't make you any less of a Mother. It doesn't make you wrong or crazy. It makes you Human.

So go ahead, cry. Cry and scream and make plans to run away. Think out the details, think about the greasy diner you'll work double shifts in, in some tiny,  backwater little town where no one knows you. Think about how you'll go to night school and get a law degree and become a rich, successful lawyer, all on your own. Think about all of that and more.

Then, after you've had your fill of fantasy,  come back to reality. Think about getting through the day without having to change your spit-up covered shirt more than three times. Think about how, tomorrow, Baby might take her first step. Think about next weekend, when your Husband surprises you by changing a diaper without being asked. Think about 10 years from now, when your Child surprises you by doing something you didn't think a 10 year old could do. Think about seeing your Child driving for the first time, getting married, having her own Children. Think about her calling you in the middle of the night, crying because she is having all of the same thoughts that you are having right now. Think about telling her that she's okay. Think about telling her that it's normal.  Think about how you will tell her that you thought and felt it all yourself, and you got through it. Think about how you will tell her how much you love her,  and how you wouldn't change any of it for the world.

Being a Mom is hard, even when it's easy. There is no job in this world that is more difficult or rewarding. So be happy when you can. And let yourself be miserable without feeling guilty about it when you need to. It's okay. I promise.



For free resources when you need someone to talk to, you can dial 211 for the United Way (within the US), which can connect you with local free or low-cost mental health resources or even just for someone to listen to you. 

If you or someone you know show signs of suicidal thoughts, please contact the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) from within the US, or visit their website. Even if you don't feel that you are at immediate risk of suicide, they can also help connect you to local free or low-cost mental health resources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment